Engineering Production Manager
As part of the Abellio Group, West Midlands Trains delivers around 1,300 train journeys a day, for more than 60 million passengers a year, across our two brands - West Midlands Railway and London Northwestern Railway.
We are committed to delivering a safe and reliable train service, by investing in our fleet of trains, stations and employees. As part of this investment we are looking to recruit a Production Delivery Manager, on a Fixed Term Contract - 12 Months, to be based at our Birmingham Depot.
You will lead and direct the day to day activities and staff at the Depot to meet the requirements of the franchise and to achieve the specified rolling stock availability, reliability, and customer experience environment whilst ensuring all specifications and standards are met.
What does the job involve?
- Responsible for the day to day management of staff to ensure that they work safely and effectively in accordance with the relevant standards and specifications.
- Ensure that shift production output and SLA targets are met for all rolling stock maintenance activities through effective use of resources.
- Deliver and maintain a safe working environment and ensue safety is at the forefront of all activities
- Effective management of day to day depot activities ensuring all rolling stock is presented in the highest of standards, on time and in line with the agreed service level agreements
- Ensuring that the environmental performance within the depot is continually improved
- Deploy the fleet into revenue earning service, ensuring the requirements of the train service plan are met, with particular attention to ensuring that stock allocations and formations comply with Franchise obligations.
- Maintain the integrity of Maintenance Management systems to ensure rolling stock is maintained to the specified schedules and that availability is maximised.
- Provide staff with technical advice and make technical decisions in accordance with Engineering department standards and Railway Group Standards.
- Carry out investigations into accidents and incidents in the workplace in accordance with the Safety and Standards Manual.
- Identify and lead opportunities for continuous improvement in order to deliver improved outcomes
- Liaise with the Training and Competency team to assess, motivate, train and develop staff to maintain an effective workforce capable of meeting its objectives.
What skills and experience do I need to do the job?
- Have served an apprenticeship or equivalent, supported by appropriate technical studies.
- Sound knowledge of railway operating and safety standards, rules and instructions
- Sound knowledge and understanding of a variety of traction and rolling stock and the maintenance standards applicable to them.
- Good knowledge and understanding of Health, Safety and Environmental legislation
- Good communication skills are required, including both verbal and written
- Strong team leader and motivator
- Ability to proactively identify opportunities for and to lead continuous improvement
- Able to solve technical problems where timescales are limited.
- Good computer skills with knowledge of Microsoft office and enterprise systems.
- Self-motivated and able to react to a wide variety of situations.
- Have a minimum of 3 years’ experience in a maintenance environment with proven technical fault finding track record
- Proven track record of managing a large group of staff and meeting business specifications
What are the salary and benefits?
- Salary – Up to £52,500 depending on experience
- Final salary pension – one of the best pension schemes available
- Free travel on all our trains and those of other train companies within our parent group company - for you, your partner and any dependent children
- 75% off all other train company travel tickets
- Retail discounts
- Career development opportunities